Famous Named
Potteries P to Z

Here are some more well known potteries that make, or have made, piggy banks.

Poole
Poole Pottery started when the Carter family developed the production of art pottery from what had previously been James Walker's tile manufacturing company and the Architectural Pottery Company. By the early 1910's the company was making a wide range of decorative wares and to meet the ever increasing demand a partnership of Carter, Stabler and Adams was formed in 1921. Some of Poole's most memorable designs come from the thirties with many outstanding patterns that have become classics.

A change of management took the Poole Pottery into the fifties, and the company flourished with their contemporary pottery. The designs of the 60's and 70's were a departure from anything produced before, with abstract patterns and designs and they became enormously popular. As fashions changed they became outdated but a revival of interest in the 1990's saw the value of these items rocket. Poole Pottery continues to flourish and is highly collectable.

Poole Pottery:  length 18.0 cms: height 9.0 cms

Price & Kensington
The Price & Kensington Pottery started out as two separate companies. The Price Pottery was founded by two brothers in 1896 at the Crown Works in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent. They went into liquidation in the 1930s and were subsequently bought by Gerald Wood. In the early 1950's the factory was merged with the Arthur Wood Group. Kensington Pottery Limited had opened in 1922 and operated at the Kensington Works in Hanley where they produced a variety of pottery goods.

Around 1961 the two factories merged, managed by Gerald Wood, and the new company was renamed Price & Kensington. Since its early days Price & Kensington's main product line has been novelty teapots, although today the firm make many decorative items.
P & K:  length 18.5 cms: height 10.0 cms
P & K:  length 18.5 cms: height 10.0 cms
P & K:  length 18.0 cms: height 10.5 cms

Quimper
Tin glazed earthenware, or faience as it is known, was made at the potteries in France from the 17th century and, by the middle of the 19th century, Quimper was one of the few places in France where it was still produced. Quimper pottery is particularly well known for the basic landscape decoration and depiction of Breton peasants, painted in soft colours with single brush strokes resulting in designs which were unique to each piece of pottery.

Quimper:  length 20.5 cms: height 9.5 cms There were originally three Quimper factories with their own marks. Most famous of the Quimper potteries was Henriot, which eventually took over sole production and is still in existence today. Quimper items are much sought after and continue to become more collectable. Quimper:  length 21.0 cms: height 9.5 cms
   
Quimper:  length 19.0 cms: height 11.0 cms
Quimper piggy banks
Quimper:  length 19.0 cms: height 11.0 cms

Royal Tara
Royal Tara China, located in Galway, Ireland, is the country's leading producer of fine bone china including table and gift wares. T
he pottery was first established In 1953 by Kerry O'Sullivan, based in a restored Georgian style residence in Galway and was run by him for the next 24 years. One of the reasons for choosing Galway as the location for the factory was the purity of the water from the nearby river, so essential in the production of fine bone china. In 1977 the company was taken over by a group of Irish businessmen who extended the range of products to include boxed gift items and limited editions and Royal Tara China is now known worldwide.
Length 13.0cms: height 9.5cms

Rye
Pottery has been produced in Rye since medieaval times but what is now known as Rye Pottery wa started at Cadborough towards the end of the eighteenth century. This was eventually taken over by the Bellevue Pottery in Rye, East Sussex which had various names and fortunes over the following years until it was re-opened by the Cole brothers in 1947 as the Rye Pottery. It has produced a wide range of items including tableware and ornaments and, more recently, a large variety of hand painted figures for which it is now famous. The method of production used today is still based on the original ‘delftware’ technique, originated in the 17th century and the freehand brush decoration gives a typical soft colouration with the result that no two pieces of pottery are ever identical. The pottery trained many apprentices, most of whom left to set up their own studios in and around Rye. The most famous of them was undoubtedly David Sharp who went on to create a great following amongst collectors.

Rye:  length 13.5 cms: height 8.0 cms
Rye Pottery piggy banks
Rye:  length 13.5 cms: height 8.0 cms

Surrey Ceramics
Surrey Ceramics is the registered company name of the Grayshott Pottery near Godalming, Surrey. The pottery has its origins in the Compton Pottery which was established by Mary Watts near Guildford in Surrey at the turn of the last century. In 1956 Surrey Ceramics was formed in new premises at Sandhills in Surrey and, following further growth, the final move was made to Grayshott in 1967. Today the Grayshott Pottery is thriving and produces everything from catering stoneware to fine porcelain items including a famous range of decorative porcelain clocks.

Surrey Ceramics:  length 12.0 cms: height 9.0 cms
Surrey Ceramics:  length 13.0 cms: height 9.0 cms
Surrey Ceramics:  length 13.0 cms: height 9.0 cms
Surrey Ceramics:  length 13.0 cms: height 9.0 cms

Sylvac
SylvaC was the trade name for pottery produced by the firm of Shaw & Copestake Ltd which was originally the Sheaf Art Pottery Co., founded by William Shaw in 1894 at the Sylvan Works in Longton, Staffordshire. There followed a long association with the Falcon Pottery whereby both produced each others lines under their own names. Much of the output of Shaw & Copestake had been produced with unusual glazes among which were black cellulose and low-fired matt glazes. From 1936 these Shaw & Copestake figures and ornamental wares were produced under the SylvaC name.

Following the voluntary liquidation of Shaw and Copestake (SylvaC) in 1982, the pottery was run by a workers co-operative trading under the name of Longton Ceramics. Eighteen months later the enterprise was fully taken over and run under the name of Crown Winsor.
This was not a successful venture and only lasted a short period before another liquidation and in 1989 Portmeirion Potteries (Holdings) plc purchased the Crown Winsor site. Note that there is no 'd' in Winsor!

Crown Winsor continued to produce some of the original SylvaC models as with the pensive little pink piggy bank, below left, who has the "Crown Winsor England" mark. The original with the "SylvaC Made in England" mark can be seen below right.

Sylvac: length 10.5 cms: height 7.5 cms

Sylvac: length 19.5 cms: height 11.5 cms

Crown Winsor: height 13.5 cms
Crown Winsor mark
Sylvac: height 13.5 cms

Toni Raymond
The Toni Raymond Pottery was established in Torquay, Devon in 1951. The name is well known for its decorated earthenware household and table wares. It has a growing following and is highly collectible. In 1967 the Toni Raymond Pottery acquired the Babbacombe Pottery which had been in production since 1949.
Toni Raymond: length 11.5 cms: height 7.5 cms Toni Raymond: length 8.0cms: height 5.0cms
Toni Raymond: length 12.5 cms: height 8.5 cms

Wedgwood
A very special name known throughout the world, was started in 1759 by Josiah Wedgwood and today its reputation continues. The numerous Wedgwood companies in the Wedgwood Group merged with Waterford Glass in 1989 and now trades under the name of the Waterford-Wedgwood Group. This is the only piggy bank we have seen with the name of Wedgwood and it is a direct result of the acquisition of Mason's Ironstone China Ltd in 1968 and its traditional piggy banks. A fairly rare piggy bank.


The lower of the two photographs is manufactured for Ralph Lauren and is called "Farmstead Ticking" and carries a date of 1999. It is from the same mould as all the Mason's piggy banks and the Wedgewood pig above, however the date would suggest that it must have been produced by Wedgwood. Not a very common piggy bank and very collectable.

Wedgewood: length 16.0 cms: height 10.5 cms

Length 16.0cms: height 10.0cms

Tony Wood

   
The name of Wood & Sons in Staffordshire has been famous since the late 18th century and has had links with such famous names as Alfred Rhead, Charlotte Rhead and Susie Cooper. Tony Wood was a ninth generation direct descendant of Ralph Wood and he established his own pottery at various sites in Stoke-on-Trent between 1980 and the early to mid 90's. The Tony Wood Studios, with Wilf Blandford as the main modeller, became famous for the range of novelty teapots that are so collected today. He is not thought to have made many piggy banks and the particular interest in this figure is that it is a small, glazed version of the famous Mr Pig and Mr Piggy produced by the Ellgreave Pottery, which had been bought by Wood and Sons in 1921.
Width 10.5cms: height 15.5cms
     

Click on thumbnails to view photographs full size and then use
browser 'BACK' button to return to this page

 


        
Copyright © r&m 2001 - 2012